I’m a music freak. While the majority of my time is spent listening to Gospel-centered sacred music, I really enjoy secular instrumental music, as well. Think common grace. (Alas, I know that some of my friends will see my favorites below as more “common” than “grace.” Probably true.) Anyway, I’m looking for tips on knock-your-socks-off-gorgeous instrumental music—generally orchestral (though I enjoy piano and guitar, as well). I have a decent-ish classical collection, so I’m looking for more (again) “common” music. Realistically? Most of what I enjoy in this regard hales from movie soundtracks. Examples of my favorites? Sure.
I like big, dramatic music:
- Like this version of “I Dreamed a Dream” (from Les Miserables) by the Boston Pops.
- Like Gettysburg.
- Like the theme from Dragonheart.
- Like Henry V.
- Like The Man from Snowy River and Return to Snowy River.
- Like Silverado. (main theme mp3)
My…um…wife also likes sentimental, tear your heart out music with a stirring melody line:
- Like Ennio Morricone’s The Mission. (Also, Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone)
- Like Sense and Sensibility.
- Like Little Women.
- Like Heidi by Lee Holdridge. (Very difficult to find.)
- Like Somewhere in Time.
It’s embarrassing, I know. But I…or rather, (ahem) she likes the stuff.
So, what can you recommend along these lines to me and others who read? What am I missing?
(Note: Bonus points if you can find it on Amazon with downloadable individual mp3s. Isn’t it great when you don’t have to buy a whole album for one or two tracks?!)